Youtube video on taking transaxle apart
We are attempting to enter the Power Racing Series
exhibition race at World Maker Faire
, September 29th and 30th.
Official Team Members:
Several others have been helping out, including Brian, Rick, and Don -- Thank you!
- Complete the race without breaking
- Maintain a "sleeper" appearance, staying true to the style, layout, and geometry of the stock unit
- Not be embarrassingly slow
- Surprising off-road capability
- Have a fun, reasonably safe toy at the end
- Structure - currently box steel, 1" and 3/4"
- Wheels / Tires - currently Harbor Freight DH 13" units: http://www.harborfreight.com/material-handling/pneumatic-tires/13-inch-x-5-inch-heavy-duty-pneumatic-tire-37767.html
- Motor(s) - currently CIM motors from andymark.com 12v overvolted to 24v, possible 36v unit from Don
- Steering - high rise handle bars
- Front Spindles - modified stock units, include basic ackerman
- Rear Alxes - either fabricated or old transaxle
- Seating - no ideas yet
- Power Transmission - Considering old riding mower transaxle
- Batteries - currently old UPS batteries (12v, 9ah) they all seem to be this model: http://www.apexbattery.com/vision-cp1290-battery-sealed-lead-acid-batteries-vision-batteries.html
- Motor Control - building homebrew, possible commercial unit(s) from Don
- Throttle / Brake interface - off the shelf scooter throttles, not sure about brakes!
- Moxie - thinking rolling subwoofer with remote dj capability
Obtained an old 5 speed + reverse transaxle from a Craftsman 10HP riding mower. Apparently this transaxle is very common... ours has the name "Foote" on it.Transaxle DiagramVideo on disassembling transaxle
Motor Control Notes
The Craigslist AdThe Craigslist Ad
- http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/stmicroelectronics/9387.pdf (currently testing with)
- https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10213 (from sparkfun)